Monday, August 15, 2011

Inspiration: Last Fall




I completed this window Fall 10' (shortly after I graduated).  It's the storefront window of Strut on S. Lamar in Austin.  This is when I first realized that color might be my biggest passion in design.  Of course, balance and repetition also play pretty visible roles in this display.  

As far as budget & cost goes, I didn't spend too much on supplies.  My main tools were paint, paper, puzzle pieces, & wood. 







I created this focal point with brown packaging paper.  I stripped off multi-sized pieces, dipped them in paints that I mixed individually, then crumpled them.  If you look closely at this backdrop you'll find that there is not one repeated color.  Each strip has its own hue.  My initial plan was to string them through fishing wire and tie them to the ceiling, but they got too tangled for that, so as a last minute decision, I decided to hot glue each strip of paper to the fabric on the wall. 







I used puzzle pieces to create the flowers coming off of the stems.  This is really easy and fun because there are so many different colors to play with in a puzzle set.  I created the stems out of recycled newspaper that I spray painted.  I bought the pieces of wood at a hardware store and stained them to add natural color & a fence-like setting.

I then finished the display off with styling on the mannequins that would contrast the vibrant colors in a cohesive manner.


 *Photo's courtesy of Erika Rodriguez






No comments:

Post a Comment